Friday, April 23, 2010

Window, Mirror, Screen: An Installation

I finally worked out all the kinks with my installation piece for Borrowing Light. From broken fluorescent bulbs and getting the right projector to locked doors with alarms and blown out circuits, it was a bit frustrating. But I got there in the end. When I started documenting the piece, I fell in love with individual pictures. So here are two parts of the installation in images and a video of the third part.

My goal was to use a bank of windows as a window, a mirror, and a screen.

This section of the windows is acting as a window. At night you see your own reflection in the window because it's light inside and dark outside. To reverse this, I added light outside so that the wall becomes the focal point of the window scene.


Outside, the window does the opposite, acting as a mirror and shielding the view of the interior. From this angle, the whole panel looks black.


If you get a bit closer to the window, you can make out what is going on both inside and outside--the bricks from outside sit on top of the interior image.



On one section of the windows I used a rear projection (projected from outside onto the back of the glass) to turn the windows into a screen from inside. Note: There is something wrong with the video, I can't get it to load.


In this section of the installation I enhanced the reflective quality of the windows by adding more light. Normally the windows are already reflective indoors, but they are even more effective with the added lights.


From outside there is a very clear view of the interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment